Sunday, November 13, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge Days 10-13: Weekend Catchup

So I'm behind. Time for one giant post catching me up.


Day 10: A Song to Which You Fall Asleep

I'm going for the positive interpretation of this one - a song you enjoy falling to sleep to - rather than the negative - a song that is so boring it puts you to sleep. I don't really feel like trying to recall whatever song Incubus or Kill Hannah were playing when I fell asleep seeing them live.

My choice is a bit odd for this one because it's actually about not going to sleep and instead staying up all night with a significant other and, well, using your imagination. Maybe it's a desire to fall asleep to a sweet song for sweet dreams, maybe it's Amy Millan's soft, smoky, almost whispered vocal, maybe it's the trancy electronics. Whatever it is I always feel pleasantly ready for a good night's sleep whenever it comes on. The surreal, dreamy music video seems to back me up.


Day 11: A Song From Your Favorite Band

Check out post number 1 for my feelings on favorites. TL;DR I hate them. I guess I'll pick the Weakerthans, and since I like cats I'll go for this song:

It's a cheerful song from a band that's wonderfully good at communicating loss and longing.

Day 12: A Song From a Band You Hate


Hate is a strong word. But it's a fairly accurate one.

Day 13: A Guilty Pleasure Song

I don't believe in guilty pleasures when it comes to music. If you like it, like it proudly no matter what some asshole might say about it - even if that asshole is me. I've jokingly given people shit over Hanson and earnestly given them shit over Nickelback, but if that's the kind of stuff that does it for you then by all means listen proudly. I have no illusions that everyone loves the music I love, but I also have no illusions that it matters that anyone else love it. I've had this conversation enough times, however, to know that most people will not let this drop until I give an answer. And, of course, I know the kind of answer they're looking for: a song that I'm not 'supposed' to like as a indie music fan, or as a male. Even though I'm not ashamed at all to admit I like me some Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, or Kelly Clarkson I've learned to recite these names just to end that line of conversation. Just like I'm ending this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment